Translate

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Can Periscope Be the Saving Grace to my Spiritual Dryness?

I am no stranger to spiritual dryness. Surely one of my biggest upheavals is my personality--I am a perfectionist. I cannot count how many times I have been told there is no right or wrong way to pray but yet prayer is still problematic for me. Like anything I have my good days and my not so good days. Throughout college and even into graduate school I found myself struggling greatly with my spirituality. I attempted spiritual direction a few different times with different directors but it became overwhelmingly difficult for me to continually inform both my therapist and my spiritual director on relevant issues that were happening as there were so many overlapping topics. Not to mention there were some issues from my past that I was not yet ready to take to my spiritual director or possibly even God. Have you ever had that "why me God" statement run across your mind? This is all too often how I was thinking when I began to try to unravel my past in spiritual direction. I am sure too that my depression and anxiety does not help the situation. Nonetheless, with the help of a new friend I have decided to try to challenge myself to broadcast daily my interpretation of the readings of the day. My broadcasts will be live through an app called Periscope. In the case that you cannot watch them live I will back them up and load them to my YOUTUBE Channel. My hope is that this experience will kickstart me back to where I'd like to be. 

Periscope 


Whether you are a techie or not have you heard about Periscope yet? "Scoping" as it is called it is an application available in both the Google Play Store and Apple App Store. It is not a new app per se but I am a fairly new user. Perioscope is another advancement of technology for smart-phone users. This app allows users to broadcast live and/or opt to allow their audience to re-watch their broadcasts at a later date; Videos are available for replay for 24 hours after the broadcast.

Creativity is at the hands of the artist (broadcaster) as they are free to broadcast anything they wish as long as they are connected to the internet and/or have data they can stream live. Periscope is unlike FaceTime or Skype where the video is seen by both parties. Periscope only broadcasts a one-way video. Perhaps one of the coolest things about this app is that anyone from anywhere in the world can be a viewer or a broadcaster. I am very much an introvert but I have to say that Periscope has opened a new world to me. Because of Periscope I have met a new group of friends we call ourselves the #ScopeSquad. From this group one of the members has become a dear friend.

Bible and Brew 


I am happy to announce that Bible and Brew will be the title of my daily morning broadcast on Periscope. Please join me at 10am ET daily with your favorite brew! My handle is @HoelscherKatie; in the case that the server is still lagging my old handle is @KatieBelle. Don't forget to download the app in your smart-phone's app store and tune in each morning. The scriptures used will be taken out of the Lectionary. If you would like to read up on the daily scriptures ahead of time feel free to go to the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) website and click on the date accordingly.

I am on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and Periscope feel free to follow me @HoelscherKatie





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me your comments, suggestions and questions and I may answer them in future Bloggs or Vlogs!